Program: Foreclosure Prevention
Location: Long Island, NY
Position: Staff Attorney
FLSA Status: Exempt
LIHS seeks to hire a licensed NYS Attorney. Successful recruit will work under direct supervision of the Foreclosure Prevention Program Manager/Supervising Attorney. The Staff Attorney will advocate and provide legal services for Nassau and Suffolk homeowners facing foreclosure on their primary residence. Collaborative spirit and positive attitude toward change is a must! Bi-lingual, fluent Spanish-English speaking/written skills are a plus. Foreclosure Prevention and Alternative Dispute Resolution experience preferred, not required – will train.
$55,000, negotiable with direct foreclosure law experience, includes generous benefits package.
Sample Work Responsibilities:
- Intake/interview new clients and maintain/manage case files through close out
- Provide clients with advice and counsel on foreclosure process and foreclosure prevention options (reinstatement, repayment, forbearance, modification, sale, short sale, deed-in-lieu)
- Prepare and submit loan modification applications/proposals, escalations/appeals, Qualified Written Requests/Requests for Information/Notices of Error
- Assist clients with preparing/serving/filing pro se answer to summons and complaint
- Attend NYS mandatory settlement conferences in the Supreme Courts of Nassau and Suffolk
- Negotiate with bank attorneys and representatives on behalf of clients
- Advise clients on loan modification offers and denials
- Provide legal advice to clients on options if loan modification is not feasible
- Collaborate closely with colleagues including other attorneys/housing counselors
- Maintain and submit timely reports on case/client activity
Responsibilities may also include special projects and research, outreach, and education of community and industry groups. Staff assignments may include other duties as required, such as assistance to advocate for the continuation of funding.
Send resume by email (No calls or faxes):
Trina Kokalis, Foreclosure Prevention Program Manager/Supervising Attorney
Email to: Recruitment@LIFairHousing.org, subject line “Foreclosure Prevention Attorney”
LIHS is an equal opportunity employer.
LIHS is a private non-profit Fair Housing advocacy organization, established in 1969. It serves Nassau and Suffolk, with its principal place of business at 640 Johnson Avenue, Suite 8, Bohemia NY 11716.
LIHS’ Mission is the elimination of unlawful housing discrimination and promotion of decent and affordable housing through advocacy and education. Its primary objectives are to promote equal housing opportunity, and racial and economic integration.
LIHS counsels clients in Fair Housing rights, landlord-tenant rights and obligations, homelessness prevention, mortgage default and foreclosure prevention, pre-purchase and rental strategies, and government assisted programs. LIHS promotes Fair Housing enforcement and voluntary compliance with Fair Housing laws by conducting investigations, including testing, providing education and outreach for housing consumers and industry related providers, and serving as a clearinghouse for information.