Long Island Housing Services Recruits Staff Attorney – Foreclosure Prevention Program
REPORTS TO: Program Manager Program: Foreclosure Prevention
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Job Description: Long Island Housing Services seeks to fill an immediate vacancy for ONE (1) licensed New York State Attorney. Successful recruit will work under direct supervision of the Foreclosure Prevention Program Manager or designee. The Attorney will advocate and provide legal services for homeowners who are in jeopardy of foreclosure in their primary residence. Bi-lingual, fluent Spanish-English speaking/written skills are a plus. Experience helpful, not required- will train. Beginning annual salary: Negotiable based on experience, includes generous benefits package.
Sample Activities and Assignments:
- Client intakes, analysis of loan documents to detect for subprime loans and/or predatory lending
- Prepare/Review financial modification proposals/packages for submission to lender or servicer
- Communicate with Banks/Bank Attorneys on behalf of clients; Negotiate affordable loan terms
- Attend settlement conferences as an advocate for clients in jeopardy of foreclosure
- Assist clients with preparing/filing Pro Se Answer to Summons and Complaint
- Provide related legal services; review modifications
- Provide legal advice on options if loan modification not feasible
- Prepare and present defendant’s arguments in court
- Prepare trial briefs; interviewing witnesses for discovery
- Research questions of law
- Conduct intake interviews with complainants involving predatory lending and/or discrimination
- Analyze claims and evidence for jurisdiction, statute of limitations, and fair housing tests
- Assist to draft proposals for agency initiatives; Participate in tester training program
- Counsel tenants and landlords on basic and New York State foreclosure rights and responsibilities
Responsibilities may also include special projects and research, outreach, education of community, industry groups on anti-predatory/Fair Lending/Housing laws, rights, remedies and options, consultation in support of investigation of predatory lending claims, and Fair Lending complaints. Staff assignments may include assistance to: Identify and secure consultant, pro bono or contingency attorneys, help with grant writing and staff management, monitoring, reports and other duties as required.
Foreclosure Prevention and Fair Lending experience preferred, bilingual Spanish a plus, but not required. Long Island Housing Services is an equal opportunity employer.
Send resume by mail or email (No Calls or Faxes, please!):
Trina Kokalis, Esq. Foreclosure Prevention Program Manager and
Michelle Santantonio, Executive Director
Long Island Housing Services, Inc.
640 Johnson Avenue, Suite 8
Bohemia, NY 11716-2624
Email to: info@LIFairHousing.org noting “Foreclosure Prevention Attorney” in subject line.
Long Island Housing Services is a private non-profit Fair Housing advocacy organization serving Nassau and Suffolk, with its principal place of business at 640 Johnson Avenue, Suite 8, Bohemia, New York 11716. Long Island Housing Services’ Mission is the elimination of unlawful housing discrimination and promotion of decent and affordable housing through advocacy and education. Its primary objectives are to promote equal housing opportunity, and racial and economic integration.
LIHS counsels clients in such areas as Fair Housing rights, landlord-tenant rights and obligations, homelessness prevention, mortgage default and foreclosure prevention, pre-purchase and rental strategies, and government assisted programs. Long Island Housing Services promotes Fair Housing enforcement and voluntary compliance with Fair Housing laws by conducting investigations, including testing, providing education and outreach for housing consumers and industry related providers, and serving as a clearinghouse for information.
LIHS Staff Attorney-Foreclosure Prevention Recruitment Announcement (PDF)
Social media and google translate