Civil Rights, Fair Housing – Advocacy, Enforcement
- LIHS 2020 Fair Housing poster English 11×17 or 8.5 x11 color / ¿Qué es Vivienda Justa? ESPAÑOL 2020 LIHS poster 11×17 or 8.5 x11 color / 什么是公平住房？Fair Housing Poster in Chinese
- LIHS English Tri-Fold Fair Housing 2020/ESPAÑOL 2020 LIHS Vivenda Justa Trifold/ 公平住房 LIHS FH Chinese Trifold 2020/ Lojman Ekitab LIHS FH Creole Trifold 2020
- 2020 LIHS Fair Housing Rights Guide – English /2020 LIHS Vivenda Justa ESPAÑOL Guide / 公公平住房权利指南平住 2020 Fair Housing Guide in Chinese
- Long Island Housing Services’ Fair Housing Training PowerPoint Update
- Long Island Housing Service Source of income trifold – English / Long Island Housing Services Discriminación por la Fuente de Ingresos – ESPAÑOL
- Know Your Fair Housing Rights Flier/¡Conozca sus Derechos de Vivenda Justa!- English. & Español
- FAIR HOUSING Equal Opportunity for All HUD booklet (pdf)/EQUIDAD EN LA VIVIENDA Igualdad de Oportunidades para Todos/ 公平住宅向所有人提供平等的機會/ LOJMAN JIST Opòrtinite egal pou tou moun
- Are You A Victim of Housing Discrimination HUD Reporting form (pdf) / Es usted unaVíctima de la Discriminación en la VIVIENDA? / 您是住宅 歧視受害者嗎？ / Èske ou se yonViktim DISKRIMINASYON NANLOJMAN?
- Assessing Claims of Housing Discrimination against Victims of Domestic Violence under the Fair Housing Act (FHAct) and the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) (pdf) / las Reclamaciones de Discriminación en la Vivienda en contra de las Víctimas de la Violencia Doméstica bajo la Ley de Equidad en la Vivienda [Fair Housing Act] (FHAct) y la Ley de Violencia contra las Mujeres [Violencia contra las Women Act] (VAWA) / 根據《公平住房法》（Fair Housing Act，FHAct）和《遏止侵害婦女暴力行為法》（Violence Against Women Act，VAWA）評估家庭暴力受害者遭受住房歧視的指控 /
- An Uneven Road to Recovery New Findings on Race, Place & Mortgage Lending on Long Island (December 2014)
- Tri Fold Rescue Scams/Tri Fold Estafa de Rescate de Embargo Hipotecario – Español
- New York State Division of Human Rights Fair Housing Guide
- HUD DOJ Joint Statement Reasonable Accommodation
- HUD DOJ Joint Statement on Reasonable Modification
- DOJ-HUD Joint Statement Group Homes, Land Use & Zoning
- HUD-DOJ Joint Statement-Accessibility-4-30-13
- Limited English Proficiency-KYR.DOJ Guidance-Right to Language Access
- A Tribute to Dr. King: Moving the Fair Housing Act Forward.
- Training and educational programs are available for small and large groups in English and Spanish.
Coping with the Stress of Housing Insecurity
- 5 Things You Should Know About Stress (pdf)
- Helping Children and Adolescents Cope with Disasters and Other Traumatic Events: What Parents, Rescue Workers, and the Community Can Do / En Español (pdf)
- Coping with Traumatic Events (pdf)
- Coping with a Traumatic Event (pdf)
- Tips for Survivors of a Disaster or Other Traumatic Event: COPING WITH RETRAUMATIZATION(pdf)
- Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Certified Therapist Finder https://tfcbt.org/members/
- Association for Behavioral & Cognitive Therapies (ABCT) Therapist Finder http://www.findcbt.org/FAT/index.cfm (search by Zip code, radius, & specialization)
Federal, New York State and local Fair Housing Laws
- Federal, State and Local Fair Housing Laws Comparison Spreadsheet
- Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988 (Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act as amended in 1988)
- New York State Human Rights Law – New York State Executive Law, Article 15, Sec. 296 et. seq.
- Nassau County Human Rights Law – Local Law 9-2006
- Suffolk County Human Rights Law – Local Law 51-2006 -Amended Chapter 528 of SC Code eff. 1-21-15
Resources related to Federal, New York State and local Fair Housing Laws
- HUD Publishes Final AFFH Assessment Tool and other AFFH Resources
- 24 CFR Part 100 Implementing Regulations- Federal Fair Housing Act –Discriminatory Conduct
- Discriminatory Advertising Law Excerpt New York State & Federal Regulations Implementing FHAA of 1988-Title VIII
- Housing Providers Obligations Under NYSHRL
- NYSDHR-amended Sect.296.18DEPARTMENTAL #177 MEMO
- NYSDHR RECOMMENDATIONS ON HSG INQUIRIES REVISED 12-2004
- NYSAG CR Bureau Fair Housing Trifold
- NYS RPL 235-f and general information about LIHS services
- Suffolk Police Commissioner Order 92-1 & NYS RPL Section 235.1 – Illegal Eviction Action = Criminal Violation
- NYS RPL Sec. 236 & 237-Prohibits Discrimination Against Children
- Fair Housing Laws protect Immigrants, Refugees, and People of all Religious Faiths
Additional New York State Fair Housing Protection Resources
- Age Discrimination English Español
- Discrimination Based Upon Military Status and Against Veterans with Disabilities English Español
- Protections for People with Arrest Records Resolved in their Favor, Sealed Records, and Youthful Offender Adjudications, or People Convicted of Criminal Offenses English Español
- Source of Income Discrimination English Español
- Gender Identity Discrimination Guidance (Booklet)
- Gender Identity Discrimination Palmcard
- Discrimination Based on Gender Identity or Expression (Brochure)
- Protections Against Gender Identity Discrimination English
- HIV/AIDS Discrimination English Español
- Sexual Orientation Discrimination English Español
- 9 NYCCR 466.13 Discrimination on the basis of gender identity (Printable Version)
- How Some Cities Reverse Segregation
- The Integration Success Stories
- Three Local Policy Innovations that Promote Inclusive, Equitable Mixed-Income Communities
- The Making of Reston and Columbia: Reston, Va., and Columbia, Md., were founded in the 1960s with similar visions for inclusive, connected communities
- The Opportunity Atlas Which neighborhoods in America offer children the best chance at a better life than their parents?
- Sara Pratt, Civil Rights Strategies To Increase Mobility, 127 Yale L.J. F. 498 (2017),
Information and Resources
- Restoring Neighborhoods-NYS 2016 Zombie Property and Foreclosure Prevention Act 7-13-16
- NYSDFS Tenant rights in foreclosed properties/Inquilinos en Bienes Adjudicados: Lo Que usted Debe Saber – Español
- LIHS Free Foreclosure Prevention Counseling flier-English/LIHS Consultoria Gratuita De Prevención De Embargo Hipotecario – Español
- LIHS Free Limited Foreclosure Legal Representation flier-English /Representación Legal Gratuita En Corte Para Conferencias De Conciliación Por Embargo Hipotecario
- NYCPLR.Rule 3408 Eff. 12-20-16-Mandatory Settlement Conf-ResidentialForeclosureActions
- An Uneven Road To Recovery-New Findings on Race, Place & Mortgage Lending on LI
Special fair housing provisions for people with disabilities:
U.S. Departments of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and Department of Justice (DOJ)
- HUD-DOJ Joint Statement on Reasonable Accommodation
- HUD-DOJ Joint Statement on Reasonable Modifications
- National Fair Housing Alliance
- NYS Human Rights Law
- NYS Attorney General’s Tenant’s Rights Guide
- Nassau County Human Rights Law (Pertaining to Housing)
- Suffolk County Human Rights Law (Pertaining to Housing)
- Don’t Allow This To Happen To You!/No Permita Que Esto Le Suceda! [Youtube}
- Analysis of the Long Island Workforce Housing Act
Consumer Protection, Fair Lending, and Social Justice
- Download “An Uneven Road to Recovery” report
- New York Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG) Small Claims Court Advocacy Center
- New Yorkers for Responsible Lending (NYRL)
- National Consumer Law Center
- National Community Reinvestment Coalition (NCRC)
- There are simple steps that you can take to avoid and report rental scams.
Need for Affordable Housing:
- National Low Income Housing Coalition (NLIHC)
- NLIHC’s “Out of Reach” Report links area cost of living to minimum required hourly wage to afford “fair market 2 BR rent”
- NLIHC and National Housing Trust Fund
- Institute for Attainable Homes
- National Fair Housing Alliance (NFHA)
- NY Public Interest Research Group (NYPIRG) Small Claims Court Advocacy
- New Yorkers for Responsible Lending (NYRL)
- National Consumer Law Center (NCLC)
- National Community Reinvestment Coalition
Housing, Advocacy, Economic Assistance, Local Nonprofit & Government Resources
- PSEG Long Island
- Be Ready LI Disaster Preparedness
- Accessible Rental Units
- ERASE Racism (NY)
- Nassau-Suffolk Law Services, Committee, Inc.
- Long Island Coalition for the Homeless
- Nassau County Dept. of Social Services
- Suffolk County Dept. of Social Services
- HUD Section 8 (aka Housing Choice Voucher Program)
- HUD-approved Housing Counseling Agencies
- Suffolk Independent Living Organization, Inc. (SILO)
- Long Island Center for Independent Living (LICIL)
- Economic Opportunity Council (EOC)
- Health & Welfare Council
- Community Development Corporation of Long Island (CDC) Administers Section 8 & Home Ownership Program
- Long Island Housing Partnership (LIHP) Administers Home Ownership Program
- Community Housing Innovations, Inc. (CHI) Administers Home Ownership Program
- Visitability – An Inclusive Design Approach for Housing
- Bed Bugs in Service Workshop
NYS Attorney General Guidance:
- Changes to New York State Rent Law This booklet details some of the most important changes recently made to rent law in 2019 that directly impacts tenants across New York State.
- Immigrant Tenant Rights Discusses the rights of immigrant tenants in New York, and provides resources for more information and guidance.
- Tenant Harassment
- Guidance to Law Enforcement on Illegal Lockouts
Websites that list housing availability
- Socialserve.com rental property search
- New York HousingSearch.gov is a FREE public service provided by New York State Homes and Community Renewal (HCR).
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Rental Assistance Listings
- Community Development Corporation of Long Island Rental Listings
- Multiple Listing Service Rental Listings
- 211 Long Island (Go to directory of services, click on basic needs, click on housing/shelter)
- Senior Housing Net
*You have to allow your location to be seen on your computer for the app to work correctly. This will bring you up to the resource locator boxes.
Domestic Violence Housing Resources
- http://www.vibs.org/ Victims Information Bureau of Suffolk (VIBS) offers assistance to the survivors of domestic violence, rape, and sexual assault. They provide advocacy and referrals to services such as shelters.
- www.liadv.org/ Long Island Coalition Against Domestic Violence offers assistance to the survivors of domestic violence, rape, and sexual assault. They provide advocacy and referrals to services such as shelters.
- http://www.brightertomorrowsli.org/ Brighter Tomorrows is an agency based in Suffolk County that offers assistance to the survivors of domestic violence, rape, and sexual assault. They provide advocacy and referrals to services such as shelters.
- http://www.theretreatinc.org/ The Retreat Shelter is a shelter located on the east end of Long Island that assists women and children that are victims of domestic violence. Other services are offered including advocacy, counseling, a hotline, etc.
Emergency Housing/Transitional Housing Resources. There are a number of shelters in Nassau and Suffolk Counties. Individuals and families must go through the Suffolk or Nassau County Department of Social Services for emergency/transitional housing.
- Dept of Social Services, Suffolk Department of Social Services Suffolk After Hours Emergency Housing- (631)854-9100
- http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agencies/dss/index.html Department of Social Services- Nassau After Hours Emergency Housing- (516) 573-8626
Persons with Disabilities Housing Resources
- http://www.siloinc.org Suffolk Independent Living Organization (SILO) provides advocacy for the disabled. SILO is the lead agency for the Nursing Home Transition and Diversion Waiver Program. The NHTD program is targeted at individuals either already in nursing homes and wanting to return to their community or those being considered for nursing home placement but who would prefer to avoid institutional care and remain in their own homes. SILO also provides information, advice, and assistance related to securing and/or retaining housing or shelter, including existing accessible housing.
- http://www.suffolkcountyny.gov/Departments/HealthServices/MentalHygiene.aspx Single Point of Access (SPA) coordinates referrals for adult mental health housing in the community.
Mental Health Housing in the Community (MICA) Housing Resources
- www.liprc.org Directory of Suffolk County Abuse Prevention, Treatment, & Recovery Services- Scroll down to the “Click here” link. It provides names and contact information of various addiction treatment agencies in Suffolk County that offers various services, including housing.
- www.litcny.org Long Island Teen Challenge provides aid, support, and residential care to men, women, and families suffering with life controlling problems with drugs, alcohol, or crime.
- http://www.lowincomehousing.us/ We provide info on affordable apartments, low income apartments, HUD apartments, Section 8 apartments, non- profit housing assistance offices, housing authorities, public housing apartments, LIHTC properties (Low Income Tax Credit Housing – is a tax credit subsidy for private developers to provide more low income housing). We also provide a rental assistance section to the website. This is a list of resources that can provide assistance for renters to help them pay their rent. This is state-wide.
**NOTE: The information provided here is for information purposes only and Long Island Housing Services Inc. makes no representation as to the accuracy, qualifications or the application process of the outside services or programs offered.**