The Fair Housing Investigator will be responsible for assisting in developing and implementing Long Island Housing Services’ fair housing enforcement activities in conjunction with other Fair Housing Program staff. Experience in writing, interviewing, advocacy, investigations, and public speaking. Salary $50,000 plus benefits. Bilingual skills are desirable.
Long Island Housing Services is an over 50-year-old civil rights 501c3 nonprofit focused on fair housing. The importance of this work is often noted in the media, including charting on the City and State magazine’s Long Island Power 100 for the last 3 years. This position works directly on the enforcement of fair housing laws thereby helping our Long Island neighbors to overcome housing discrimination to achieve the housing of their choice.
- Commitment to equal housing opportunity.
- An ability to perceive housing issues from a legalistic perspective, and to express ideas and facts in writing and verbally.
- Personal composure. Willingness to speak publicly and testify in court.
- An ability to relate comfortably and with respect to people of all races, lifestyles, and economic levels.
- Strong written, verbal, mathematical, and word processing (min 40 WPM) skills. Working familiarity with Excel, Word, and Internet required.
- Punctuality and willingness to work occasional weekends or evenings.
- Highly organized and able to multi-task.
- Self-starting and ability to work with minimal supervision. Congeniality with fellow workers is essential.
- Commitment to Civil Rights and the agency’s mission to eliminate unlawful housing discrimination, promote racial and economic integration, and advocate for decent and affordable housing.
- Personal/reliable transportation. Willingness to travel in Nassau and Suffolk are required. Must demonstrate their ability to meet the transportation needs of this job.
Duties will include the following:
- Intake interviews, and counseling related to fair housing and landlord-tenant issues.
- Investigate allegations of housing discrimination.
- Design and implement fair housing tests for investigating real estate, lending, and/or insurance practices on Long Island. Testing requires mathematical skills.
- Recruit and train testers, coordinate and conduct tests, and debrief testers to ensure the integrity of fair housing investigations.
- Analyze test results and prepare written reports for each investigation as directed.
- Coordinate additional investigative activities needed to accurately determine whether discrimination has occurred and secure adequate evidence for enforcement action.
- Prepare press releases and monthly reports in cooperation with the Program staff on the progress of fair housing enforcement projects.
- As necessary, conduct work for judicial or administrative action (e.g., complaint writing, interviewing witnesses, gathering evidence, analyzing evidence, and testifying).
- Participate in professional education programs or assignments which may require distance travel outside of Long Island.
How to Apply: Send resume by email (No Calls or Faxes, please!):
Email to: Long Island Housing Services, Inc., email@example.com “Fair Housing Investigator” in the subject line.
Long Island Housing services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Social media and google translate