Long Island Housing Services, Inc. seeks to fill an immediate vacancy for ONE (1) licensed NYS Attorney to develop as a dedicated Fair Housing Attorney interested in civil rights, fair housing enforcement, and public interest. Bi-lingual, fluent Spanish-English speaking/written skills are a plus. Experience helpful, not required- will train. Beginning annual salary: $49,140.00 and generous benefits package. Salary based on experience.
Long Island Housing Services, Inc. is a private non-profit fair housing advocacy organization serving Nassau and Suffolk, with its principal place of business at 640 Johnson Avenue, Suite 8, Bohemia, NY 11716. Long Island Housing Services, Inc. seeks to ensure equal housing opportunity through the elimination of unlawful housing discrimination and promotion of decent and affordable housing through advocacy and education. Our primary objectives are to promote equal housing opportunity, and racial and economic integration, and to reduce and eliminate housing discrimination. These objectives extend to ensuring that people with disabilities and all protected classes have equal access to housing.
Long Island Housing Services, Inc. promotes fair housing enforcement and voluntary compliance with fair housing laws by conducting fair housing investigations, providing education and outreach for housing consumers and industry related providers, and serving as a clearinghouse for information.
The Staff Attorney will oversee the program’s fair housing litigation on behalf of victims of housing discrimination. Some responsibilities may include:
- Analyses of fair housing claims;
- Interview complainants and witnesses;
- Consultation in support of investigation of discrimination complaints;
- Conduct legal research;
- Preparation of complaints, rebuttals, briefs;
- Assist with negotiating settlements;
- Draft settlement proposals; monitor settlement agreements;
- Represent agency as litigant before Administrative Law Judges, as well as in state and federal court;
- Assist to identify and secure consultant, pro bono or contingency attorneys,
- Outreach, educate and train the industry on fair housing laws, rights, remedies and options;
- Assist with grant writing and special projects;
Send resume by mail or email
(No Calls or Faxes, please!):
Ian Wilder, Acting Executive Director
Long Island Housing Services, Inc.
640 Johnson Avenue, Suite 8
Bohemia, NY 11716-2624
or email to: info@LIFairHousing.org noting “Fair Housing Attorney” in subject line
Long Island Housing Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
PDF of announcement: Fair Housing Attorney Position Opening