GENDA prohibits employers, educational institutions, landlords, creditors, and others from discriminating against individuals on the basis of gender identity or expression, and make offenses committed on the basis of gender identity or expression hate crimes under New York State law.
If you believe you have been discriminated against, call Long Island Housing Services at 631-567-5111 ext. 375 or email Info@LIFairHousing.org to speak to a trained Fair Housing Investigator or Advocate.
What Does the Law Cover?
Discrimination on the basis of gender identity or expression is prohibited in all areas covered by the Human Rights Law, including employment, housing, places of public accommodation, and non-religious schools.
What Is Gender Identity or Expression?
Gender identity or expression means a person’s actual or perceived gender-related identity, appearance, behavior, expression, or other gender-related characteristic regardless of the sex assigned to that person at birth, including, but not limited to, the status of being transgender. A transgender person is an individual who has a gender identity different from the sex assigned to that individual at birth. Gender dysphoria is a recognized medical condition related to an individual having a gender identity different from the sex assigned at birth.
What Is Prohibited by the Law?
Unlawful discrimination based on gender identity or expression can include:
- questions about gender identity or expression, an individual’s sex assigned at birth, medical history, or body parts in a job or housing interview
- refusing to hire for a job, to rent an apartment or to allow equal access to credit, a public accommodation, or a school
- terminating employment or housing • applying different terms or conditions of employment, of a lease, of credit or of service in a public establishment
- denying the use of rest rooms, locker rooms, or other facilities consistent with a person’s gender identity
- requiring grooming, uniform, or appearance standards based on sex stereotypes
Related New York State Fair Housing Protection Resources
- Gender Identity Discrimination Guidance (Booklet)
- Gender Identity Discrimination Palmcard
- Discrimination Based on Gender Identity or Expression (Brochure)
- Protections Against Gender Identity Discrimination English
- HIV/AIDS Discrimination English Español
- Sexual Orientation Discrimination English Español